Who we are
The Institute of Mine Seismology (IMS) is an independent private research organization focused on developing methodologies, technologies and services for monitoring and managing the seismic rock mass response to mining. In 2010, the IMS bought the businesses and assets of ISS International and ISS Pacific.
IMS facts and figures
- 57 permanent staff
- 11 PhD
- 14 MSc
- 16 Bachelor degrees
- collective 300 years of experience in mine seismology
- 219 customers in 30 countries
- 50 active IMS seismic monitoring systems in Australia
- 53 active IMS seismic monitoring systems in South Africa
- 27 active IMS seismic monitoring systems in China
- 89 active IMS seismic monitoring systems in the rest of the world
- provide 24/7 data processing services to 80 customers in 14 countries around the world
- process more than 30 000 seismic events per day
Who we are not
We do not provide geotechnical services to mines, but we may be a valuable resource to geotechnical practitioners in helping to resolve problems related to seismic rock mass response to mining.
What we do
The Institute offers the following services:
- fundamental and applied research into mine seismology
- forensic seismology
- routine seismological services, e.g: seismological processing, analysis, reporting, numerical modelling for integration with seismic data and training
- seismic monitoring technology, installations, 24/7 technical support and maintenance
The IMS is an ISO 9001 accredited company. All our processes, including manufacturing and services, conform to the ISO 9001 quality management standards.