Website Institute of Mine Seismology
The Institute of Mine Seismology (IMS) is the world leader in monitoring and modelling the seismic rock mass response to underground and open pit mining. IMS operates in 32 countries and has offices in South Africa and Canada (Ontario), as well as head office in Tasmania, Australia. There are around 60 staff at IMS.
IMS is looking for a motivated individual with a passion for science to join our growing team in Ontario (Barrie region), Canada.
About the Position
You would work as part of the team assisting mines around the world, to process, analyse and interpret seismic data recorded by their IMS monitoring systems. The region of focus for this role will be the Americas. There would be occasional international and national travel to mines and involvement in 24/7 standby seismologist service. You would undertake applied research on problems of mine seismology. You’d also work on scientific algorithm development, prototyping and testing.
No prior experience with mine seismology is required, although it would be advantageous.
- Data quality control
- Technical reports on data analysis and interpretation
- Customer support
- Shared 24/7 support
- Research in mine seismology
- MSc in Seismology, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field (a PhD is preferred)
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish or Portuguese
- Programming experience (ideally Java)
- Attention to detail with a focus on quality and reliability
- Good time management skills and work ethic; self-motivated and autonomous
- Motivation and willingness to work extra hours to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Valid driver’s licence
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
This is not a remote position.
IMS thanks all interested applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.